Do you have books on your shelves that you haven’t read? Not even once? Do you have a lot…? Are there books that you own and would like to read, or you know you should, but they somehow always happen to fall behind on your ever-growing TBR list?
(I can’t be the only one. Please, tell me I’m not the only one!)
The answer for how to finally get to them is here:
For a long time I was lamenting about these eternal inhabitants of my TBR, and I tried different ways to get myself to read them. I decided not to buy any new books, until I’ve finished all of them, but a little time had passed and I couldn’t keep this up, only while reading one or two of these books. Nothing worked.
Then I realized: I’m certainly not the only reader who suffers from this ‘unread book gathering’ disease! If I could get other people to do this challenge with me, maybe it could work. Maybe we could do this together.
That’s how the idea for The Untouched Bookshelf Challenge was born.
And as you might guess by now, I’m desperately in need of it. Last week I counted all the physical books that I own but have never read, and the total completely astonished me! 67! I have 67 books that I’ve never touched. And I’m cheeky enough to state that I read every book I can get my hands on!
Well, I know most people probably don’t have this many. (
Or do they…?) And that’s fine. It doesn’t mean they can’t participate in a challenge like this!
That’s why I invite YOU to participate in this challenge!
What is it and how to join?
- the purpose of the challenge is to encourage its participants to read all the physical books they own
- all participants have to make a list of the books they own but haven’t yet read
- anybody can participate – no matter if the list only consists of a couple of books or a hundred
- you can’t buy any physical books until you finish your list (that’s the challenge!)
- books you get for free, win on a giveaway, get as a gift, get from NetGalley/Edelweiss or directly from the author don’t count (you can get and read them while doing the challenge)
- obviously the list can only contain physical books
- e-books don’t count, either (I’d prefer not buying any of these, either, and that’s how I’m doing this challenge, but making this one a rule seems very naive – I totally get it if you can’t NOT buy an e-book for like one dollar on a sale)
- there’s no time frame, since it heavily depends on the length of the list and the pace one reads, which both are individual things
- you have to post regularly about how you’re keeping up with the challenge, however I don’t want to make an actual frequency a rule (see reasons above), so I don’t mind if it’s weekly, every two weeks, monthly, or completely random
- you can make your posts your way: they can be about the books you’ve read as part of the challenge, rants about how you can (or can’t) manage it, some sentences on why you slipped and bought some books, or you can simply link the review of a book back to the challange…anything you can think of and you enjoy writing
- if you slip and buy a book, it’s okay, but you have to add it to your list
- I’m going to do the link-ups thematically: like lists, reviews, rants, etc… I’m setting up a page on this blog that will contain all the links and rules. The link-ups are going to be permanent, they won’t change with time. You’ll be able to find all the posts written as part of the challenge.
- once you’ve finished you should do a post that sums your challenge up
- since there’s always readers who has this problem, you can join in the next time you wake up to a pile of unread books you own (I‘m not naive, I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen to me again eventually…)
People can join in any time, but if you’d like to be among the first ones and you can make your list by Sunday, I invite you to The First List Posting Event!
I am going to post my list of these 67 books on Sunday, 25th November! Join me, and have a list-dreading party together! It’s going to be hard, but we’re gonna be there to motivate each other! 😉
If you can’t make it, but wanna join, just post your list later. Anyone can join at any time!
So… I know this has been a lot, so let’s make it simpler!
If you accept my invite, all you have to do is:
- Make a list of all the physical books you own and have not yet had a chance to read them!
- Post the list on Sunday (25th Nov.) or at any later point of time!
- Link that (and any later) post back to my page ‘The Untouched Bookshelf Challenge’!
- Watch out for said page, so you could see the rules, what happens later, and how other people cope with the challenge!
What do you think? I’m open to ideas, especially since this one is such a newborn project! 😀
If you like the idea, please share it on social media, so more people can join! Use the tag #TheUntouchedBookshelfChallenge if you talk about it. Spread the word! The more we’re doing this, the more support we can give and get! 😉
I’m so excited! I hope many of you will join!